It wouldn’t be RV life without a variety of maintenance issues and repairs! Life on the road can be tough on your equipment. From the constant bouncing and shaking as you drive down the road, to drastic changes in weather and elevation, to the extensive use from full-time living. You’ll hear many stories of repairs and maintenance issues, but I’ve always found it hard to find specific details.
Therefore, I will share with you a diary of all the warranty & repair work done on my Basecamp. This is meant to be a realistic insight into what you may encounter in terms of repairs.
Both new and used RVs alike will run into a variety of maintenance issues, and it is important to be prepared for these extra expenses and potential downtime. One reason I purchased brand new was due to the warranty. So far, Airstream has been great in regards to getting these items fixed quickly, and I’m still very happy with my purchase.
Total Cost of Repairs: $0.00
- Purchased my 2018 Airstream Basecamp brand new.
- No heat or hot water -required a complete replacement of the Truma Combi Eco Plus unit.
- Solar control panel stopped working – completely replaced
- Solar panels were no longer charging the batteries – found to be a loose connection from when the panel was replaced.
- Piece of exterior black trim was coming loose – applied additional 3M tape
- Sharp metal barb on bathroom door – was removed and sanded down
- Minor front window leak – gaps in the sealant were resealed
- Minor rear door leak – bulb seal was pinched, so it was flattened out and resealed.
- Missing rivet above passenger side window – replaced
- Passenger window screen coming loose – resealed and glued
- Missing screw in rear taillight – replaced
- Water pump continued to run when the water was off – replaced water pump
- Dealer also found a crack in the city water hookup and the shower valve, so both were replaced.
Future Items to fix
- Bathroom shower caddy is falling off – part on order
- Screen door is fraying at the bottom – part on order
- Gas stove top control rubber coming loose – part on order
Dealer I purchased from: Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ
Dealer who has been assisting with repairs (and has been amazing!): Airstream Las Vegas